The state Joint Information Center this afternoon released a list of where oil has been spotted today. The news release said the information was forwarded to the federal incident command post in Houma, which is overseeing oil spill containment and cleanup efforts in the Gulf of Mexico.
ST. BERNARD PARISH
– Oil was spotted .62 miles north of Raccoon Island in Lake Fortuna.
– Tar balls located in Lake Grand Ecaille and Bay Batiste.
– Gray sheen with tar balls spotted 1.6 miles southeast of Lost Bayou.
– Oil spotted in Bay Jimmy.
– Oil was reported in the grass west of Calumet Island.
– Tar balls located in Barataria Pass near Bay Chaland.
– Oil sheen with tar balls located in Grand Bayou Pass.
– Oil with tar patties in the marsh grass located in south Bay Jimmy.
– Oil reported on the shoreline of Lake Washington.
– Oil reported in eastern Redfish Bay.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said on its website that “new” oil was observed about seven miles east of the Chandeleur Islands off the Louisiana coast.